De Rohan Gate

IMG_0015.JPG

De Rohan Gate also known as the New Gateway, is a commemorative archway in Zebbug. It was built in 1798 to commemorate the locality's status as a city, which had been granted by Grand Master Emmanuel de Rohan-Polduc on June 1777. Initially two arches were to be constructed but due to difficulties it was decided to build a single arch at the entrance of the city. Funds for the building were raised through fundraising by the population of Zebbug, as well as a donation by the parish church. The arch was designed by the mason Giuseppe Xerri, who also supervised its construction. It was inaugurated on 12 May 1798 by the new Grand Master, Ferdinand von Hompesch. It is built in the neoclassical style and the archway is flanked by rusticated Doric pilasters set on a plain pedestal. The arch is topped by a triangular pediment having moulded edges. A gothic designed niche, containing a portrait of the Ecce homo is located within the arch. Restoration on the arch was done by the Restoration Directorate under the Local Council Restoration Scheme 2016. Documentation of the chapel was done using Laser Scanning. A group of five workers from the Restoration Directorate worked on the project, where all the facades of the arched were manually cleaned and pointing was reapplied where missing. Maintenance of the door and the niche was also carried out.  Works started at the end of July 2016 and were completed at the end of November 2016.

 ​