St. Andrew Bastion is a large pentagonal bulwark which
anchored Valletta’s enceinte on the Marsamxett Harbour side of the land front.
This is one of the first bulwarks to be completed after the initiation of the
construction of the fortified city in 1566. The bastion is a pentagonal work
with a series of low piazze basse and tiered platforms adjoining it on
both flanks. Owing to its position, St. Andrew Bastion also commanded the
entrance to the Marsamxett Harbour, and as a result, remained a valid defensive
position well into the British period, when the platform was used to house
various types of coastal defence artillery. South of the left side of the
bastion, a small bastioned tenaille was carved out of the bedrock to protect
the long exposed flank of St. Michael Demi- Bastion. The bastion had a consumed
masonry fabric, and required various types of interventions to repair the
damaged stonework and remove the rampant spread of vegetation.